“It is probably not completely fucked and doomed. At worst, it’s only slightly fucked and doomed.” Mantra by *Sam Lamott (@samlamott) (*Offspring of one of my favorite writers, Anne Lamott!)
Is it me, or does the world feel a little bit chaotic lately? Pretty sure that this week we moved up a notch from You Gotta be Kidding Me to This is Getting Pretty Bonkers.
Chaos galore. We’ve got hurricanes!! 3,000 dead people miraculously coming back to life from said hurricanes!! Taking money from the people who help during hurricanes so we can detain more children! (Although…if we can bring the dead back to life, maybe we don’t need FEMA??)
It’s all got me thinking: What do we do with chaos? That is, other than respond with fear. (Or booking a one-way flight directly to Justin-Trudeau-land.)
All I know is that I have a predictable pattern I use when the latest crazy drops from the heavens and into my news feed. And–because you’ll notice one of the below steps is writing (HA!)–I’m gonna write about it and share with you
Let’s call it, Sarah’s Seven Steps™ to Responding to the Chaos: (fictional trademark and everything.)
- Denial. Muttering over and over How is this HAPPENING? This can’t be happening!
- ALL-CAPS STAGE. (AKA seeking validation from those who see it the way you do.) Post to facebook with crazy emoji faces that basically scream “OMG GUYS DO YOU SEE THIS IS?!” *Yes they do unless they don’t and in that case your article won’t make them “see” it. (Not that I heed this advice, I do this ALL THE TIME. See the all caps??!)
- Fight or Flight. Responding with, “I’ve gotta do something! There are kids in cages! “OR,“Nope nope nope. Can’t deal with the crazy today! Gonna binge watch Making-It.”
- Grapple with existential angst. Chocolate helps. So does talking aloud to beagles.
- Surrender. Sweet, sweet surrender. You know, facing the feelings under it all. Having a good cry about the children. Discovering that you feel a lot better after facing the feels.
- Magic! Transmuting/alchemizing the pain. (Which auto correct wants to change to “Schematizing” – sure that works too.) You feel the feels, you eat the chocolate…now what? For me, I transmute the pain through art or writing. I take the pain and turn it into joy. It’s basically magic.
- Repeat. Again and again and again. The world is at bonkers-level crazy after all. And maybe bit by bit…our creations of joy build a beautiful new world out of the chaos.
THAT’S ALL I GOT. (OH: and vote in the midterms. Do that too! Register to vote and/or request your vote-by-mail if you haven’t yet!)
What about you? How do you cope with the crazy? Did I miss any steps? What level comes next you think?
Yes, that’s right, I’ve begun penning my note to Marco Rubio. I’ve got lots to say.
What’s this all about you ask?
I make art and I decided I wanted to give it away AND help shine light on the horrific child separation policy. Here is my plan: I’ll send you five free cards in the mail in return that you use them to advocate to end the child separation policy. Send a note to an elected official, the media, friends, whomever. We will nudge each other to raise our voices and send disillusionment to the curb. AND if you are still on the fence about doing this–when you sign up you will be entered to win a tote bag or a print too!!! Because why not spread even more love?
It’s that easy!
Here’s the tote. Oooo! Ahhhh!
Here is the full print (pardon the shadowy picture, better picture to come soon):
You can sign up for your free postcards here. Whaddya say. Let’s shine some light into the darkness.
The President? The congress? The reasonable republicans? The unreasonable republicans? (Oh Marco, I have you on speed dial but honey I AM NOT WAITING FOR YOU.)
Are you waiting for Bernie? Hillary? Kamala? Cory? The alt-left? (WHAT IS THIS AND I THINK I AM A PART OF IT MAYBE??)
Are you waiting for the mid-terms? Are you waiting for the tax returns? Are you waiting for an anointed leader-of-the-people to magically emerge? Are you waiting for Godot? Are you waiting for Justin Trudeau to hug you and tell you it will be OK? (PLEASE, LIKE YESTERDAY JUSTIN.) Are you waiting for Obama? (WE DID LOVE THAT TWEET.) Are you waiting for Michelle? (OMG REMEMBER MICHELLE???)
Are you waiting to “just see how it all works out?” Are you hiding until it all works out?
Are you tweeting the revolution? (THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TWEETED. BY REVOLUTION I MEAN NON-VIOLENT AND ROOTED IN LOVE MKAY? ALWAYS.)
Are you waiting for permission? Are you waiting for support? Are you waiting for the bat signal?
Are you numbing out? Are you hiding out? Are you making jokes? Are you freaking out?
Are you blocking family-who-voted-for-Trump? Are you blocking family-who-voted-third-party? (BLESS YOU MY MILLENNIAL COUSINS. I FORGIVE YOU.) Are you hiding from your neighbor who voted from Trump? (SERIOUSLY SHE BLASTS RUSH LIMBAUGH AND IT DRIVES ME NUTSSSSS.)
Are you angry? Are you scared? (YES, YES.) Are you defiant? Are you indignant? Are you usually the follower? Are you usually the leader? Are you done? Are you SO DONE you could stick a fork in it?
ARE YOU FED UP YET?
Because here is the thing: American needs you. YES, you. It was always you. (CUE THE ROM-COM CLIPS.)
You cannot do it alone – no. But listen to me: it starts (end ends) with you.
I am here to say, dear ones, that now is the time. To speak. To move. To find your voice.
You are the ones we have been waiting for.
You might also like: Let’s use this fire-breath to bring down the patriarchy! (Or something.)
Ooof. If I read one more apocalyptic think piece I’m going to lose it.
Self-care! Self-care! Self-care!