Earlier this week I was part of a video chat with my spiritual sisterhood to talk about what it means to face the dark feminine energy and do shadow work. You can watch our video here!
What is the dark feminine? She’s the shadow side of our authentic being which is a body of light, and thus she is very powerful… that is, until we bring her into our conscious awareness. The moment you bring it forward—no cover ups!—is the moment the dark feminine loses any grip on you!
Being a woman in patriarchy is being raised to be the dark feminine… if you go for the programming that is. We are told to be “nice” girls, to sit pretty and keep our mouth shut. (Keep things hidden… engage in cover-ups.) We are raised to be copy cats in every way—the dark feminine can’t be original. She’s afraid of walking her own path. Think about the schooling you may have experienced if you grew up in the United States: copy this art project exactly! Follow this way of thinking exactly! OBEY!
The dark feminine loves gossip, she has low self esteem and envies others. She’s obsessed with the world of form and identifies with it. She doesn’t see herself as sacred. She manipulates through her sexuality. She believes she has no power and is a victim. She runs to the system to protect her and she thrives in white supremacy.
Think of the darkness the United States was founded on: take what isn’t yours and then co-opt their traditions and beliefs as your own, as long as it doesn’t disrupt notions of whiteness and capitalism.
The dark feminine doesn’t believe in true sisterhood. She tears it down. She’s afraid to be herself and trust other women. And yet there are no feminine ways without the sisterhood… so we must work together to heal ourselves and our sisterhood to understand that another way is possible.
Take a look at our video if you are interested in learning more about understanding and transmuting this energy. If you want to learn more about our sisterhood, visit Magdalas.com.
The Wasteland burns us up and burns us out. Instead of following your own instincts, instead of discovering what it is that gives us joy, what makes our heart sing, we spend most of our lives trying to make other people happy…living from our head rather than our instinct for what is good and healthy.
The Heroine’s Journey for these times is a journey out of the Wasteland. Each of us has our own unique set of stories to tell: the story of the years we spent in the Wasteland, the story of our awakening, and the story of the path we took out of it.
1. Stay up late ranking the names of Kim Kardashian’s children, from least awful to most awful. (In case you are curious: North (but go by Nori, obv), Saint, and poor lil’ Chicago is last.)
2. Sleep in late and eat kettle corn and coffee for breakfast. (Doubles as a colon cleanse?! Lol)
3. Chuckle to yourself every time your spouse calls to say how much he appreciates you.
4. Buy four kinds of chocolate candy and share amongst yourselves.
5. Wear your new silk pajama pants you got on clearance from Target.com and slide around the bed laughing so hard you nearly pee yourself while your sister jokes about your Bangkok-inspired sleepwear choices. (They were a steal at TEN DOLLARS and worth every silky penny!)
This is definitely the first annual sister-getaway of many many more to come. So gimme the scoop ladies—any fun sister getaway traditions you can share?